This article from the AP is like an episode of Arrested Development.
Swedish Christmas Goat Survives Attack
Fri Dec 15, 8:14 PM ET
STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Vandals tried to set fire to a giant straw goat in central Sweden but failed to burn down the traditional Christmas monument, which has been soaked with flame-resistant chemicals, officials said Friday. The overnight raid was the season's first attack on the 43-foot-high Christmas goat in the city of Gavle, 90 miles north of Stockholm. The goat has been burned down more than 20 times in the last 40 years in what has become a yule tradition.
"Somebody tried to set fire to the right front leg, but the flame-resistant chemical worked 100 percent," said Kurt Lagerholm, chairman of the goat committee.
"There's smell of gasoline and the ribbon is a bit smutty, but otherwise it's unhurt," he said.
Since it was first erected on Dec. 3 in 1966, the goat has been hit by flaming arrows, run over by a car and even had its legs cut off — surviving only 10 times beyond Christmas Day.
This year, officials doused the straw goat with flame-resistant chemicals and set up two 24-hour Web cams to try to protect it, but Lagerholm said the overnight attackers managed to sneak past the cameras by coming in at the only angle the cameras did not reach. The suspects were still at large Friday.
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2010 (146)
- ► 2009 (136)
- ► 2008 (271)
- ► 2007 (289)
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Dana Carvey as Tom Brokaw on Gerald Ford
- The Naughty List
- Do You Want My Pere Noel Merry Christmas to you to...
- When You Can't Go Home Again...
- Animated Christmas Lights - Pixar/THX intro Happy ...
- Kochalka song makes Rolling Stone 100
- Militant Anti-Christmas Terrorism, Part Deux
- Spit Art credit to John.
- A new spin on Virginia Woolf
- Looking for a Last-Minute Gift?
- Militant Anti-Christmas Terrorism
- Pear Trees in Demand,
- Marc and Matt Movie Review: Alice Doesn’t Live Her...
- Pretty Walloony
- Alan Moore on Sex, Christianity and the fall of th...
- Teenar, Girl Guitar
- Crazy Man Dancing In Best Buy
- Butt-print artist no longer welcome at high school...
- Mormons vs Chicanos
- DiCaprio wants our answers
- David Lynch (and a cow)
- Tatooine, Tunisia
- USPS Approved
- Texans figure out way to scare off hippie hikers
- Christmas Re-dubbed
- Doomed by the Damned
- Backwash meets science
- Playground Terrorism
- Greetings from the Damned...
- Jobbie Job: Build Me Up Buttercup
- Finally, Someone Who Understands Russia
- By request
- Cosmic connexion
- New PoF Holiday?
- Blair Witch Meets Steve Jackson
- Board Games with Scott
- Danzig seeks legal immunity
- Death to Smoochie!
- For Kids on the Naughty List
- The Sound of Mood Swings
- Marc and Matt Movie Review: 2 Days in the Valley
- Drug smuggler sub labeled "amateurish" by sub enth...
- Fair (to Poor) Harvard
- ▼ December (46)
- ► 2005 (352)
- ► 2004 (504)